All your Hot Tub Bromine Questions
So for some, this is a preferable sanitizer. However, as with any chemical sanitation system, bromine has its disadvantages. In small quantities dissolved into hot tub water, bromine is not too harmful, but it is naturally irritant to the human eyes and throat, so it’s best to avoid these areas and make sure you don’t swallow any hot tub water!
Its a very clear NO with regards to mixing the two sanitisers, when managing your hot tub water you need to use either or and not both together. Bromine Granules and Bromine Tablets are fine to use together and similarly Chlorine Granules with Chlorine Tablets. Please do not mix the two sanitizers.
Bromine on the other hand works by forcing apart the chemical bonds of the contaminants in your hot tub water and as it dissolves in the water it remains active, continuing to work even when it has combined with the unwanted particles.
Unsurprisingly (and like its cousin chlorine), bromine also produces a waste product which is known as bromamine. However, bromamine is not known to have as many side effects when present in your hot tub, but it will reduce the efficiency of your bromine sanitiser. If you are using bromine in your hot tub as your sanitiser of choice, you will want to test the chemical levels regularly and undertake an oxy-shock treatment if the levels need adjusting.
Its a great question and one that cant specifically be answered due to not knowing bather loads and average weekly usage. However as a rule of thumb you can start with one tablet in a floating dispenser with the lowest setting open and build it up from there whilst doing daily testing to see where your levels are at.
Once you get to a happy medium on the ideal range on your test strips then your there, the only factor to remember is when you use your tub the Bromine levels will naturally drop so this is where your Bromine Granules can come into use to aid your Bromine Levels..
Remember always add small amounts, as its easier to build up, but a challenge to get back down if levels are to high.
The joys of having a bromine tablet dispenser, feeder or floating dispenser gives you the peace of mind knowing that you’ll have a continual dose of bromine being dispensed into your tub 24/7. Ps as long as there's tablets in the of course :-)
In general, Bromine products are more expensive than Chlorine products. For example, here at SpaChem™, our chlorine products are around 20% cheaper than our bromine equivalents. This is normally due to the higher cost needed to purchase bromine. However, this can be offset by the fact that less bromine is required to get the same sanitizing power as chlorine.
Are you finding as time goes on your spa smells? Looking forward to a nice relaxing soak in your hot tub but when you open up your spa cover you get this unpleasant odor? But the temptation of getting into what looks like a nice clean hot tub may have underlying issues.
A hot tub that smells like rotten eggs is a sure sign that bacteria is hiding somewhere in your spa, spa parts, Jets, headrests, and spa cover, maintaining poor levels or low levels of bromine in your spa hot tub will result in high bacteria growth. To ensure a consistent presence and dosing of bromine in your water it is recommended using a tablet dispenser for Bromine Tablets.
Spa Bromine Tablets 5kg, 8M-EW5P-IIQB
Spa Bromine Tablets are a broad-based biocide specifically formulated for the disinfection of Spa and Hot Tub water. These tablets should be dosed via a specific floating dispenser or an erosion feeder device.
1. Maintain the pH balance between 7.4 – 7.6.
2. Test the water with a BROMINE test kit, the ideal reading is 4 – 6ppm.
3. When using a floating dispenser or erosion feeder always refer to the manufacturer's guidelines.
4. Only use Spa Bromine Tablets in the floating dispenser or erosion feeder and NEVER MIX CHEMICALS.
5. One Spa Bromine Tablet will typically treat 1000lts of water, for water volume above 1000lts add a minimum of 2 Spa Bromine Tablets to the floating dispenser or erosion feeder.
6. Monitor the Total Bromine readings, you may need to adjust the dispenser or feeder for flow.
7. Should you experience difficulties maintaining your bromine levels you should contact your dealer for further advice.
• Always ensure bathers are out of the water when adding chemicals.
• Never mix with any other chemicals including cleaning products, weed killers and chlorine products, as a dangerous reaction may occur.
• Always handle products in a well-ventilated area.
• Always wash hands thoroughly after handling chemicals.
• Store in a cool, dry, well ventilated, secure place. Ensure chemicals do not become damp in storage.
Instructions and dosages given are a guide to the most effective use.
• This container must not be used or contaminated with any other materials.
Spa Bromine Tablets 5kg
- Brand: SpaChem
- Product Code: SpaChem
- Availability: 6
- Ex Tax: £54.62